Thursday, April 5, 2007

You can't hear it on the radio!

The Frontier Brothers are going to be playing a headlining gig (unlike the one pictured above) in support of our upcoming ep! The show is June 1st at Fort Worth's The Aardvark. I'll keep you guys up-to-date.

So here's a question. What do you do in the lull-time in between new releases and tours? I think the key is to build buzz. I need to figure out how to make The Frontier Brothers into a phenomenon. Lily Allen did it via myspace - perhaps that is the direction we should take. On the other hand, a grassroots campaign may be more effective. Paper New York and Austin with posters and fliers - litter copiously. Or what about a street team? I imagine 100 friends and fans playing our cd for their friends, handing out stickers and cds, calling local radio stations, building a BUZZ.

As you can tell, building a band is nothing like a typical career. It is dangerously open-ended - there are no rules, no mentors, no sure-fire strategies. One thing is certain, however. I need to work my ass off while I'm still living in New York. There are blogs to contact,(BrooklynVegan can you hear me?!) radio stations to seduce, and managers to recruit. To be a band, you need to be more than be a band (ugh). You need to be a hype-machine.

Moses

2 comments:

Keeping Austin Weirder said...

Cousin, I would take that no mentors thing back. Find one, find a few.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on The Aardvark show! I'll try to make it back to FW to see you headline!